Mr. Saturn ( in their distinctive font, and どせいさん Mr. Saturn in Japanese) is a race found in EarthBound and Mother 3, and also appear as an item in Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and Super Smash Bros. 4 They are the primary residents in Saturn Valley in both games. Mr. Saturns are known for being very peaceful and quirky, and their very distinct way of speaking. Mr. Saturns are also one of the builders for the Phase Distorter.
The Mr. Saturn in EarthBound play a large role throughout parts of the game. They were first found to have many of their brethern imprisoned by Master Belch, who used them to do most of the labor in Belch's Base. They don't have any true forms of amusement, but they offer many of their services for free (with the exception of their store).
Late in the events of EarthBound, Dr. Andonuts and Apple Kid work with them to create multiple Phase Distorters. One was originally for the use of Ness and his friends, but was stolen by Pokey, who apparently also kidnapped a Mr. Saturn as well. The fact that the Mr. Saturn are capable of creating such technology shows that they are very dexterous creatures, despite their very odd dialect and habits.
In Mother 3
The Mr. Saturn in Mother 3 play a significantly smaller role. When Lucas first finds them, the Pigmask Army has them and Duster held hostage with Frightbots telling them scary stories until they tell them where the Needle is. After freeing them, the Mr. Saturns form a ladder leading to Fire Mountain. They have developed a hobby of going "fishing" for birds, laying down to stare at what is above them, and forming totem poles. Various members of the Mr. Saturn have single lines of dialog that don't have any significance to the player whatsoever. When Lucas and company must leave the enclosed Saturn Valley, the Mr. Saturn let them leave via tons of "birdies" in a cage. One of them asks Lucas for his Courage Badge and holds onto it for a long duration of Chapter 7.
Later, right before Lucas approaches the second-to-last needle, a hooded Mr. Saturn, presumably the one that took the Courage Badge, gives Lucas the Franklin Badge, an essential item for confronting the Masked Man. Past that, the Mr. Saturn are only seen again in the cast roll.
"Mr. Saturn? Mr. Saturn... Mr. Saturn!"
Mr. Saturns seem to speak the English language, but with their own twist to it. The words they speak that appear in the text boxes have their own font. It is unknown if this stands for an unheard accent or not. They also use words like , , , or at the end of sentences. Mr. Saturns also use incorrect grammar (according to the English language) using fragments and lacking the word "am".
Mr. Saturn's first appearance in the Super Smash Bros. series is in the first game, where it appears in the congratulatory screen upon completion of the single-player mode.
Additionally, Mr. Saturn appears as an item in Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Brawl, where they simply amble around, being able to be thrown at other fighters for some damage. When thrown, they break shields much more easily than most projectile weapons. Additionally, they have their own trophy in both Melee and Brawl.
Super Smash Bros. Melee
- The origins of the Mr. Saturn race are unknown, but many believe they came from outer space. They reside in Saturn Valley and speak their own unique language. In Super Smash Bros. Melee, Mr. Saturn is just another item with which to pelt foes. These guys are laid back and not into fighting, so you can rest easy... or can you?
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- A creature from a race of unknown origin that speaks its own unique language. Some say they came from outer space, but the facts behind their appearance are wrapped in mystery. In Smash Bros., they'll wait a bit after appearing before wandering off on their own. They can be picked up and thrown at foes for minimal damage. Their shield-breaking properties are high.
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
- Mr. Saturns are curious beings that speak their own language. They might not look it, but they're scientific geniuses! In this game, they tend to go for a stroll around the battlefield. Throwing one at an enemy won't do much damage, but Mr. Saturn will take out a shield very easily.
- Kirby Super Star (Ultra) as a collectible treasure in the Great Cave Offensive sub-game.
- Mr. Saturn's Japanese font was based on Shigesato Itoi's young daughter's handwriting at the time.
Names in other languages
Super Smash Bros. • Super Smash Bros. Melee • Super Smash Bros. Brawl • Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Onett • Fourside • New Pork City • Magicant
Mr. Saturn • Franklin Badge
Jeff • Starman
Trophies • Stickers • Spirits