|Spoiler warning: this article or section may contain major plot or ending details! Proceed with caution.|
かめんのおとこ Masked Man
|Strengths and weaknesses|
| Wall Staples|
|Experience and money yields|
|Strong One (Masked Man)|
The Masked Man is one of the antagonists in Mother 3.
In Mother 3
The Masked Man was first seen briefly at the end of Chapter 5, and was introduced in Chapter 7. He is the commander of the Pigmask Army, and is mainly controlled by Porky. He has the ability to use PK Love, and because of this, is the only person besides Lucas who can pull the Seven Needles. He and Lucas race around the Nowhere Islands to pull the Needles, because of Porky's plan to end the world using the Masked Man as a vessel to pull the needles and end the world purely for his amusement out of boredom. Among his other abilities, he can fire powerful bolts of lightning that can cause instant knock-outs - provided that the victim isn't wearing a Franklin Badge - and owns a personal jet pack to easily navigate the Nowhere Islands with.
His true identity is later revealed at the end of Chapter 8, and that the Pigmask army had found him since the end of chapter 1 and turned him into a human chimera, after learning of his psychic abilities. He is the final boss of the game. The battle is one-sided, with Claus knocking all of the other party members unconscious, with Lucas refusing to attack Claus, With the newfound knowledge that his brother is still alive. During the battle, Hinawa reaches out to them both, struggling to break Claus' attacks, until the end of the battle when he removes his mask, fires a bolt of lightning at Lucas, intentionally killing himself. In the final moments of the game, Claus apologizes to everyone, before saying his last goodbyes, and giving his final breath.
Battle Memory description
"What expressions lie hidden behind his mask? ...And more importantly, who is he?"
"Just who is he? The masked man remains silent..."
The Masked Man wears a helmet with a cover over his left eye, a grey jacket, belt, boots, and wields an electric sword, and an arm cannon.
- If Lucas attacks the Masked Man during the final battle after Flint jumps in front of PK Love Ω, Hinawa will say: "Lucas... Stop fighting.". Also, in the second phase of the final battle, if Lucas manages to attack, a message appears after saying: "Lucas... Felt heartbroken." And if he continues attacking, a message appears saying: "Lucas started to cry."
- There is an inconsistency concerning the Masked Man's battle sprites. His second sprites arm cannon is missing, and he is wearing gloves in both sprites, which are absent from his Overworld sprite.
- In the original Japanese text, the Masked Man was referred to instead as the "Masked Boy", which is referenced at the end of Chapter 5 where the end monologue mentions that his profile is still youthful.
- In Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS, Lucas has an alternate costume where he wears a shirt with the Masked Man's head on it, along with the same color pallet.
- In the second Masked man fight (final boss), the battle background is the same as is the fight against the Evil Mani-mani in Earthbound.